[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: nst current limiting

Hi Fucian,

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> is it possible to limit current of a nst even more than it
>already is?like,i  want volts but not current.is this
>possible without depotting?

Sure, there are several ways. Use resistive ballast or
inductive ballast. All ballasting methods that can be used
on pigs, can be used on NSTs as well (as long as you
downscale them ;o}). But tell me, why do you want to
do that? The Tesla coil strives on current and not really
voltage. It is the bang size (energy stored in the primary
circuit) that makes out big sparks. Your cap must recharge
between successive bangs and only current can do this,
not voltage. This might not be clear on first sight, which is
why I mentioned it. If you have two xformers (same VA):

1.) 50kV and 20mA = 1000VA
2.) 10kV and 100mA = 1000VA

The second xformer is much *stiffer* and will better suited
for Tesla use and I would BET #2 will give you a longer spark
length (ignoring all the corona problems you would get with
xformer #1) even though the VA is equal.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard