[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Effects of the size of toroids

At 08:28 PM 03/02/2000 -0300, you wrote:
snip...

>About this, do someone know a formula for the maximum electric
>field at the surface of a toroid, given the voltage? (I asked this
>question some time ago, but didn't get any pointer that I could
>find). Not difficult to discover with an electrostatic simulator,
>but the geometry seems simple enough for a closed formula.
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Hi Antonio,

	The old 3Mv/meter radius rule is as good as any.  However, the surface of
the toroid does make a big difference as anyone who has tried a smooth
toroid compared to a heating duct type has found.  Even putting fairly
smooth aluminum foil over a smooth toroid has a dramatic effect.

	So for a smooth toroid that extends reasonably beyond the diameter of the
primary coil, 3Mv/meter is as good of guess as any.  However, the high
frequency current seems to be able to breakout of even tiny imperfections
at far lower voltages.

	Perhaps you were more interested in the theoretical field stress around a
given charged toroid.  I do not know of such a formula, but you are correct
that it probably would have a closed form.  I was going to refer you to an
expert in electrostatics, but you are him. ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry