[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: calculating bps for sync rsg..Thanks!

At 09:16 AM 03/04/2000 -0500, you wrote:

><< Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>
>
>> Thanks everyone for the responses! I am using a standard ac motor which I
>> have modified by cutting/grinding two flats on the armature. I guess this
>> brings the RPM up to 1800, and so I have 120 breaks per second.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon >>
>
>Jon, the 1800 rpm motor should have 4 flats, and a 3600 rpm motor
>should have 2 flats.  Did you check to make sure the motor is really
>locked up?  I suppose it might be able to lock with just 2 flats, but
>it probably doen'st lock as easily or strongly.  I don't know, I've never
>done it that way and put 2 flats on a 1800 rpm motor.
>
>Cheers,
>John Freau

Hi John,

	There is really no reason why this would not work.  Since 1/4 HP motors
seem to have far more torque than is needed, the reduction in "locking"
torque" due to using only two flats is probably not a big deal.  Since
rotaries present constant torque, a small offset caused by lower driving
torque would not be great.  The advantage would be the motor would draw
less current and run cooler and the machining would be cut in half.  Of
course, if it didn't work, one could always go back and cut the other two
flats.

Something to try on my next rotary....

Apparently, this has been done before but I have heard little about how
well it worked.

Cheers,

	Terry