[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST's ARE ALL DEADLY !!!!!!!!

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Alex Crow" <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com
> >
> >      If you shut off the power to your Ladder, then, shorted the poles, how
> >      did you get shocked?  Did you have a cap across the leads or
> >      something?  If you actually unplugged the transformers I don't see how
> >      you could get shocked. . .  .am i missing something?
> >
> >      paul
>
> I think this is something to do with the huge inductances of NSTs  - shorting
> them actually helps the stored energy in the inductance, breaking the short
> creates a kick, then ouch... this is in the archives somewhere with a better
> explanation!
>
> Alex

	There MUST be a better explanation.  Inductors store energy with
current flowing in them (1/2 L I^2), NOT when open-circuited!  I wonder
if the reported observation was somehow flawed.  On the other hand,
there is no doubt that there can be residual charge on the outside of
the dielectric surrounding an ordinary TC.  Effect has been discussed
here many times.  You can often get noticeable shocks by holding onto
one end of the coil (after power off, of course) and running your hand
along the coil.  In order for such energy to be stored there must have
been a DC polarization of the dielectric, perhaps due to rectification
by the dissimilar geometry of the coil and ground.

Ed