[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: calculating bps for sync rsg (confounded and confused)

In theory, the answer would be 1800/60*4, however, I have found from
oscilloscope traces and many hours drawing time lines that this is not always
the case.  The real frequency is dependant on the time each rotating
electrode is in proximity to each stationary electrode per revolution.

For example:

Given LE = thickness (diameter) of largest electrode, R = radius of rotating
electrode to motor shaft center, P = number of gap presentations per
revolution.

For my RSG LE = 0.25in, R = 2.125in, and P = 16 since I have two sets of
stationary electrodes (LE) tied together 120 degrees apart and 8 rotating
electrodes in sets of 2 - 11.25 degrees apart.

My motor is 1800 rpm, so as theory goes 1800/60*16, my frequency should be
480 hz, but I measure 565 hz on the scope. Why?  Because the thickness of the
largest electrode effects the frequency.

If you take one circumference length and lay it out flat as a timing chart
and divide the chart by the number of presentations P, you get G =
2*PI*2.125/16 = 0.8345 ( the time one electrode can fire).  Subtract LE/2
(for my RSG geometry) and divide by G and you get the percentage of time each
rotating electrode is in front of a stationary. (0.8345-0.125)/0.8345 = 0.85

480hz divided by 85% = 565hz, exactly what I measured at peak firings!

The smaller the electrodes are, the closer you get to the theoretical value.
The measured frequency will always be higher than the theoretical.

On the other hand, if I made my stationary electrodes equal to 0.8345, a
rotating electrode would always be in front of a stationary, and the equation
would go to 0, when in reality, it would revert to being a static spark gap
and fire at 120hz.

I've been trying to add these equations to WinTesla, but the various
geometries of the gap design makes it difficult to come up with one true
equation.

Hmmmm......something else to think about........-dot-comments?

R. Scott Coppersmith