[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac controlled inductive ballast - WARNING

One must carefully recall transformer theory, especially with regard to
turns ratio and their effect on BOTH current and potential.  If you decrease
potential you can radically increase current across a portion of the
windings.  The optimum solution is to definitely NOT use a variac to control
current.  They can work but without careful metering across sections of the
winding you may increase current or voltage to the point where damage will
quickly occur.

A separate reactor around 30-50 mH with a series 0.5 Ohm resistance always
works better.  Sweet spots are eliminated and you can tune over the full
portion of the spectrum.  Tuning is accomplished by "dipping the plate
current" much the same way a ham radio transmitter is tuned.  At some point
power increases with the increasing variac setting while current
simultaneously decreases until it "dips" to a low point and then as the
variac increases the current and power once again increase in value.  This
dip is the most efficient operation for the entire system.  Slightly above
this point, however, is the setting at which you will get the longest sparks
for any system.  This value is usually 10-15% above the dip point.  Tuning
of the reactor can be continuous or accomplished with a series of taps every
5 turns.

This concept is known as "tuning the power supply" to match the load.
Proper metering is essential to see this effect.  Be sure to meter the
current both before and after the reactor.  You will note some very
interesting relationships that will provide solid clues to effective tuning
of your system.

Dr. Resonance