[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sizing the toroid to the coil, was Effects of the size oftoroids

Hi Bart, John, all,

Comments below.

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> > Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi John,
snip
> 2.8 x CSelf was the result of the best performing coils (performance
>is power in
> Bart
>
> > I size the toroid based mostly on the TC "bang size" (joules of
>>energy per gap firing).  I may then modify this to make the
>> proportions more reasonable if needed.  The toroid can also
>> sized to the spark length;
> >
> >Spark length = 10X  to  12X  toroid minor diameter (thickness)
>> John

In general, I think I can agree with both posts. ROC has a great
impact on performance. You can build two toroids, which have a
similar Ctop, but with two different minor diameters and they will
behave completely different. The larger ROC is, the smoother the
surface "appears" to the spark. Of course, donīt forget the major
diameter. This has the biggest impact on Ctop and also on the
amount of energy a topload can store (VERY important for long
sparks). As you near the optimum performance, tuning becomes
very critical and you will actually need to tune your coil to arc

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard