[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST insulations

snip
> Having never de- or Re potted an NST I have a few questions :)
>
> I have 3 15/60 Jeffersons (the baby-blue painted ones) filled with the
> standard Black Tar. They are all dead from Tesla Duty, most with one side
> toast.
>
> 1. Is a hot-plate suitable for cooking them? Other ideas? The oven is NOT
an
> option :)
takes forever
> 2. Can I do this without stinking up the house?
no
> 3. How do I remove the shunts?
beats me
?
?
> 6. If Vasoline is used, how do I make sure to fill all the air spaces?
>
> 7. What are other good potting compounds? I would prefer something easy to
> work with, and not liquid.
>
> 8 Is it better to keep it in it's original case, or would somehting like a
> 5Gal bucket be better?
>
> 9. Can wooden forms be used to place and center the core in a bucket? (I
> have seen this done with BIG transformers in oil)
>

> thanks guys.
>
> Chris B.

Chris B.,
 I have a 12/30 Jefferson that I depotted to increase current. It also has a
baby blue case. I used a hot plate and a propane torch to melt the tar and
it took all day. I was very dissapointed to find no easily removable shunts
inside. I guess they are somehow built into the core on a Jefferson. I made
no changes, and repotted the core in the original container using the
original tar. I don't think I'll ever attempt another one, I'd rather go
down to the sign shop and shell out the money for a 15/120 cold cathode
transformer and not have to mess with it. Better yet, I think I'll track
down a pig!

Good luck,
Jon