[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: THOR PROJECT: SUCCESS!!!

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 08.03.2000 03:39:45

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: THOR PROJECT: SUCCESS!!!

>Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>

>Hi Marco,
>                 You never told us what spark lengths were under these
>conditions. Pretty please?

>Regards :)
>Malcolm

>> IT WORKED FINE! The power supply was NOT damaged! Long, steady ramificating
>> streamers!
>>
>> Pulse voltage was 11 kV DC, repetitions rate was about 660 Hz: that makes a
>> power of about 2kW (with the 0.05 uF cap I had).

Hello.

This may sound stupid, but I didn't tell about spark length because I felt it
was not relevant. Here the point (the success) was to have a switching mode
power supply feed a TC, without getting damaged and with a high bang rate.

I didn't measure thoroughly (e.g.with a grounded rod) spark length, but I know
for sure it was longer than with the original MOT supply (say, 20%). I think
spark length could have been about 50", but, please, take it as an indicative
value.

The streamers are also different. Instead of several departing horizontally and
going straight or down, now I get many times a 10-15 seconds lasting, about 45
degrees going up single streamer. That streamer starts slowly turning
around the
toroid and, as I said, points all the time up and ramificates as usually at its
end.

Today we had another series of runs: power supply is still alive. Still I can't
have long/many runs because one winding of the two TRANSFORMER module is
getting
quickly hot. I have wound there 3 windings, 130 turns each, connected in
parallel. The problem is that I wound those by hand and I am pretty sure they
are not all exactly 130 turns.

A quick rough calculation: 130 turns, 5kV -> 38.5 V/turn. Total winding current
is about 0.5A. If I misplaced a single turn, that will dissipate   38.5 * 1/3 *
0.5 = 6W alone. I could have missed/added 1-3 turn, so I think you get the
idea.

I am going to machine-rewind the winding. The same winding on the other
(companion) transformer stays pretty cool: that has been machine-wound.

Regards