[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Temporary electrodes for rotary

Hi Mark, all...

> An abrasive
> saw is needed to cut them (an abrasive tile-cutting saw, for example), and
> diamond-tipped or nitrided steel tools are needed to machine them.

Right, this stuff is very hard.  Still, I cut tungsten welding elecrodes for
my TIG welder to length by grinding a notch with my grinder (wheel corner)
and snapping them.  Not much is wasted.  The ends shape easily on a standard
grinding wheel and can be smoothed nicely on a rubber-bonded abrasive wheel
(Cratex, etc.).  Chuck them in a drill motor to make a reasonably symmetrical
radius if you have no lathe.

I never had occasion to drill or tap tungsten and expect that would be quite
a challenge without the specialty tools.

Regards,

Michael Tandy