[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rectifying

Hi Malcom,

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Some comments FWIW:
> I'd strongly advise using the secondary centre-tap with the full wave
> centre tapped supply just mentioned. It does make use of both half
> cycles but delivers only half the voltage of the full wave bridge
> arrangement. Not as efficient since it doesn't deliver any more
> current.

I would like to dis-/agree here. You are correct as far as using
the 4 way rectifier, because you get full voltage (I believe it
was 3.15kVac, right?), but I canīt agree on, quote "...since it
doesn't deliver any more current.". That isnīt true :o)) If you
have a center tapped xformer with 12-0-12 volts (example)
and each winding sources 1A, then using a cīt-dual diode full
wave setup WILL deliver more current. Your output would be
(12*sqrt(2)) volts -at- 2 amps DC making 24+VA. Using a full
wave bridge, the voltage would be 24V(*sqrt(2) -at-1A or the
same 24+VA. The total VA doesnīt change. But it DOES
deliver more current (at half the voltage). The VA (power)
remains the same, which is what I suspect you wanted to
say, right?

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard