[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMI Filter Hookup? -- Internal House Wiring Popping And Crackling

Hi J.B,

> Original Poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
> The big thing is grounding the filter.  I connect the ground terminal
> to my main R.F. ground which is also the ground for the bottom end of
> the secondary, the "protection network" ground, and the strike rail.
> You'll likely have no problems if you go this route.

Hmm, I think I will disagree, here. Remember you are nailing
quite a few amps through the secondary ground. You have
a length of wire (=resistance), which means voltage spikes
appear on the RF ground line. This isnīt something you
really want floating through your house ground OR on the
zero potential terminal on your RF filter. If you *hit* the right
frequency, these spikes might even induce voltage upon your
phase or neutral line. I would ALWAYS ground the RF filter
on the mains ground and not on the RF ground. If your filter
dies (shorts) you will be superimposing RF, HV on your mains,
which isnīt exactly what you would like to do. Plus you might
provide a direct path for 50/60 Hz mains voltage to the HV
part of your coil setup. This can wreck all sorts of havoc.

I think everything from the HV side of the xformer on *upwards*
should be connected to the RF ground and everything *below*
that to the mains (normal) house ground.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard