[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMI Filter Hookup? -- Internal House Wiring Popping And Crackling

>Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
>Hi J.B,
>
>> Original Poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
>> The big thing is grounding the filter.  I connect the ground terminal
>> to my main R.F. ground which is also the ground for the bottom end of
>> the secondary, the "protection network" ground, and the strike rail.
>> You'll likely have no problems if you go this route.
>
>Hmm, I think I will disagree, here. Remember you are nailing
>quite a few amps through the secondary ground. You have
>a length of wire (=resistance), which means voltage spikes
>appear on the RF ground line. This isnīt something you
>really want floating through your house ground OR on the
>zero potential terminal on your RF filter. If you *hit* the right
>frequency, these spikes might even induce voltage upon your
>phase or neutral line. I would ALWAYS ground the RF filter
>on the mains ground and not on the RF ground. If your filter
>dies (shorts) you will be superimposing RF, HV on your mains,
>which isnīt exactly what you would like to do. Plus you might
>provide a direct path for 50/60 Hz mains voltage to the HV
>part of your coil setup. This can wreck all sorts of havoc.
>
>I think everything from the HV side of the xformer on *upwards*
>should be connected to the RF ground and everything *below*
>that to the mains (normal) house ground.
>
>Coiler greets from Germany,
>Reinhard

I couldn't agree more Reinhard, I had the same feeling about that remark,
but I had trouble that time to find the right motivations. As I wrote
earlier, I have the feeling that some members of this list have no idea how
great an impact inducing currents can have. I have read somewhere about 2
years ago, that somebody had a Tesla coil on a table top with a metal side
on it, what eventually got the table on fire because of the sparking on the
not connected ends of metal strip!
I would also advice to use a shielded power cord between the EMI filter and
the power outlet for the same reason.

Ruud
Greetings from lovely and sunny Holland