[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PFC cap appropriate?

> Original Poster: "Paul Mathus" <pmathus-at-learningco-dot-com>
>
> Hey folks,
>
> I just picked a cap for $12 at a surplus place, and was hoping to use
> it for power factor correction on my 12/60 NST.
>
> I've transcribed the label below:
>
> AEROVOX ENERGY DISCHARGE CAPACITOR
> Type: PX8E10
> 100 MFD 600 VDC
> Does not contain PCBs

The "VDC" rating is a clue that this is not intended for continuous AC use.
A good polypropylene or mylar AC cap will be rated in VAC, often a multiple
of 220.  Most commonly, coilers use motor RUN or lighting caps, both of
which are usually flat-oval, drawn metal cans filled with oil and topped
with 1/4" quick-connect tabs.  You can clearly hear/feel the oil sloshing
when you shake this type of cap.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net