[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: .062uf 20,000 volts cap on Ebay

> Original Poster: "Skip Malley" <skipm-at-bellatlantic-dot-net>
>
> Hi guys,
> I ran across what looks like a very HAPPY capacitor.  It is rated at 39
> AMPS at 10MHz.  Sounds like a Tesla capacitor to me.
>
> http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=278201331

That's a mica radio transmitting cap.  It is not the best choice for coil
use, but it can survive if you respect the voltage rating.  In the case of
this cap (rated 20kV), I would not expect it to survive more than a few
minutes if used alone.  In series with another one of it's kind, it should
be safe.  Mica's also lossy, and these caps will run hot (too hot to touch).

PE and PP are less lossy, and much more forgiving of overvolting than the
mica, and that's why they're prefered for coiling.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net