[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Discharge impedance questions. (RG-8, matching)

Hi Jim,

	The wavelength is 2980 feet at 330kHz.  RG-8 has a velocity factor of 66%
and is 26.4pF/foot.  So the cable is 0.00508 of a wavelength and 264pF.
However, I was always under the impression that if you have a 50 ohm source
and 50 ohm cable and the forward power is say 400 watts and there is no
reflected power, that you must be running into a 50 ohm real load.  In that
case, the cable length makes no difference other than phase delay.

What may be more of a factor is that I can adjust the frequency.  Perhaps
the coil's impedance will always have a 50 ohm point at some frequency.  I
turn up the power and then adjust the frequency for the lowest reflected
power possible.  I assume if 400 watts is going in, and none is coming
back, that all is well.

I just ran the impedance and phase in MicroSim,  There is a 50 ohm point
that is at an angle of 179 degrees (almost zero).  The impedance really
peaks at 92 ohms but this other point gives an almost zero reflected load
match.  Wonder if that is good, bad,...

MicroSim says I should be using 50 turns on the primary instead of 10 to
get about 50% more power to the load (resistive part).  Perhaps that would
match the resonant frequency to the impedance match points better...
Really, all we are doing is matching the 50 ohm real source impedance of
the generator to the impedance of the arc.

I am not a genius at all this load match stuff but I'll see what I can come
up with.  I'll dig up a manual to the power supply too.  I think it spent a
lot of time talking of such things.

Cheers,

	Terry