[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Arcing at RF choke

I have observed arcing on a single rf choke connected to a high voltage
secondary from an ordinary 1.5 kva transformer powering a disruptive
disharge method
using large inductors resonated at 60 hz. Two of these coils are placed in
series resonance, each of them
180 out of phase with each other. When the midpoints of each circuit (the
wire between L and C)
are brought in close proximity a 2cm lightening like discharge can be made
between the series
resonances, with a voltage input measured at 464 volts from the 1.5 KVA
power transformer.
The arcing occurs on the radio shack rf choke closest to the secondaryof the
transformer. Can anyone suggest
safety measures to prevent damaging the transformer, as I burned up a
smaller 1.0 KVA transformer
by subjecting it repeatably  to more tamed down versions of this midpoint
arcing for long periods of time.
The only thing I can think of is to replace the choke and try again with one
on both sides. It seems that
a disruptive disharge like this might produce bad rf kickbacks to the
secondary, possibly I might be getting internal arcing on the secondary
itself on the unprotected side. Is using two rf chokes/ one on each side of
the secondary better than one? Appreciate any safety suggestions to prevent
damaging the transformer again, and was wondering whats the estimated
voltage of a 2 cm electrical disharge from two pointed terminals?

Binary Resonant System
http://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201

Visit http://freeworld.excite-dot-com