[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon.....dooohh

> Original Poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Hi Mark,

Comments below:

> > Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
> >
> > Forget aluminum --- very poor conductor of RF currents.
>

> How poor is "poor"?  I made my RSG using an aluminum ring to connect the
> electrodes.  I haven't used it yet, and it's not too late to make it out of
> copper, but I'd rather not go through the trouble of machining a balanced
> ring
> again it I don't have to.
>
> Mark

Speaking from a little experience, my first RSG disk was made from an alluminum
flywheel about 10 inch diameter. I used copper electrodes which screwed into
the flywheels outer ring where I tapped theads to screw in the electrodes and
locked in place with a jam nut. The RSG worked just fine - or so I thought -
until I eventually upgraded (after a couple other designs) to a G10/tungsten
disk. This truely made a world of difference. I would say the distance for my
coil was 20" of spark length. I'm not saying that you will see this type of
distance (depends on the coils power capabilites and other parameters), but for
my coil, I was able to remove quite of bit of loss at the gap. Even the spark
channel changed from whitish/purple to mostly pure white. I don't what the
difference would be if you used a copper disk instead. Never went that route.
The RSG I'm using now will probably out perform a copper disk by some amount as
well. FWIW

Bart

PS - If your that close to finishing, give it a go - then try something else -
and report the differences (if it's not too much work).