[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Discharge impedance of a CW Tesla coil

HI Ralph,

> Original Poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 3/13/00 3:03:08 AM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> << >I am not sure why you noticed less ozone, but the reduced
>  >NOx is probably due to the lack of the spark gap. I donīt
>  >think the coilīs discharge produces noticeable amounts of NOx,
>  >but the pulsed power you see in a DW powered coil, in the
>  >main spark, is (I think) the main source of NOx and not the
>  >coilīs output itself. Due to the outer shell state (electron
>  >configuration) of nitrogen, it takes a lot of energy to get
>  >nitrogen to combine with oxygen to form NOx. Nitrogen is a
>  >very stable element, whereas oxygen can easily be "tickled"
>  >into combining with another element. >>
>
> Hi Reinhard, Terry,
>
> Methinks you are on the right track with relating the ozone production to
the
> size of the discharge. John Freau reports that he gets considerable ozone
> from his VTTC throwing 19 inch sparks. Not only is the 3O2 + energy yields
> 2O3 reaction unstable, less than
> 8% of the available oxygen is utilized before the reaction reverses. The
> triatomic
> molecule uses 8 % of 20% of the volume of air in the room. So the way I seez
> it, my little VTTC produces no detectable ozone because the volume of air
> within the discharge "sphere" is too small.

If that is all true, then why is there little detectable ozone when you
create long arcs with an arc welder?  The fact that spark length is
mentioned again and again says to me that there is a voltage (read
energetic) factor involved. ?

Regards,
Malcolm