[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon

Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>

> While we are at it, could you quickly explain, why you
> used a helical instead of a flat primary? I realize that
> with such monster coils, the helical coil shouldn´t
> present any secondary to primary flashover problems
> (which IS a problem that small coils have). But do you
> really need such a high coupling at the energy level
> you are working with? Or is the coupling in reality not
> as high as the design would lead one to believe?

The coupling on Electrum is roughly 0.135.  The helical
primary geometry was chosen simply to fit the primary
inside the secondary; not the most optimum location.
If I had the option,  I would have chosen a large
diameter flat spiral, outside of the main tower.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org