[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: tuning?

When tuning for optimal primary tap, all that one can generally do is try a
tap and note spark performance, shut off, try a different tap position, note
spark performance, etc.  A very subjective and imprecise method, especially
with long delays between runs.  I've tried putting the tap wire on the end
of a looong pole and dragging it across the primary.  Don't EVER do this,
the wire will power-arc with a huge flaming arc, and it will leave a
dangerous charge on the cap.

The mention of a fluorescent tube started me thinking, how about enclosing
the tube in a light-tight PVC pipe with a photocell, and metering the
photocell as a quantitative measure of coil output?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

>Original Poster: "Alex Crow" <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>
>
>Bobby,
>
>Look at the various text files on pupman-dot-com and scan the archives. You
>really need to start with the gap closed down small, so it fires at a
>low variac setting. Put a discharge bump (or a nail) on the toroid.
>Place the primary tap to about half of your primary turns. Switch on
>with the variac at minumum, and turn up until the gap fires steadily.
>Also, a nearby flourescent tube is useful. You should see the tube light
>up a bit and maybe some little sparks off the nail. Switch off, move the
>tap one turn inwards. Switch on, if the lamp and sparks are
>dimmer/fewer, next time move the tap one turn outwards. If they are
>brighter, keep moving inwards. When you seem to reach the maximum, you
>can then try doing the same in 1/2 and 1/4 turns. On some coils this
>makes very little odds, but on others 1/2 turn can make a big
>difference.

<snip>