[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC TC

Comments are 'interspaced':

>Original Poster: "S.Gaeta" <SGTPORKY-at-prodigy-dot-net>
>
>That's an excellent question! I tried it once myself. I used a rectifier on
>each leg to do the full wave thing. I did not use a filter cap. I simply
>threw the diodes in and didn't change anything else. This did not work as
>well as well as using one leg of the NST in the AC mode. I really expected
>an improvement with DC but got the reverse.Can someone please tell me why?

Hmmmm...a rectifier on each leg,  that would be two diodes, right? That's
not the Graetz configuration i know of (4 diodes). I think you eliminated
half of the wave.

>The rectifiers were rated for that voltage and current and were still good
>after the run (my cap told me so when I discharged it-with a high voltage
>cable in case anyone was wondering :-))
>
>The added inconvenience is that now you MUST discharge your cap. Your
>transformer will not do it for you with the diodes in place. Of course it's
>a good idea not to depend on the transformer winding to discharge the cap
>anyhow even when running AC because something could go wrong. "Transformer
>discharge" also will not work for multiple caps in series.
>
>S.G.

I'am afraid I disagree: you MUST use an always connected resistor too
discharge the cap!!!
And for safety you let the cap shake hands with your largest screwdriver!

>> Original Poster: "David W" <Dav_W926-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>>
>> Theoretically you could use high voltage diodes to run a DC tesla coil
from
>> NSTs without any modification, right? Would that have any positive
effects on
>> the caps? Any other "side effects?"

AC: simple, fast problem-solving
DC: independent of 50/60 Hz wave