[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid Toroid Beneficial?

Alan:

Thanks for the note.  The shorted turn effect that has been very steady and
reproducable for the past two weeks disappeared today.  Might have been a
high impedance connection, but I can't be sure.  Now I see no effect one way
or the other.

I am writing up my research notes, which could easily come to 200 pages.  I
will make them available for the cost of photocopying and postage.  I could
have them finished in the next two or three months if I can figure out
theoretical explanations for some of the observations I am making.  Like
your observation that raising the toroid improves performance.  I noticed
that today also, that raising the toroid lowers the input impedance and
raises the top voltage.  It is not a classic frequency or current
distribution effect.  I used two toroids, one slightly larger than the
other.  The larger toroid had the same frequency sitting on the coil as the
smaller toroid had when 8 inches up.  The current distribution should be the
same.  But the smaller, raised toroid had 20 percent higher voltage on it.
If you could think of a reason this might be so, I would appreciate it.

My interest is more in the area of explaining Tesla coil operation than in
making long sparks.  I have equipment to make a classical coil with
potential transformers, but may never get around to doing it.

Gary Johnson