[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon (add nausiam)

Dear Jim, (and the Geek Group,)

Please see several comments below.

> Date:          Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:44:55 -0700
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Avalon Top Load Comments and general engineering comments of a
>                flame like nature
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> I've finally taken a look at the Avalon Home page.... Chris and associated
> geeks.. You have a LONG way to go.. I started with the top load, and went
> through, just spending about 15 minutes on a simple engineering analysis of
> some obvious things.
>
> No wonder the big dogs aren't interested...
<snip>

> Don't tell me you'll have multiple bolts, because given the lack of
> attention to BASIC mechanical engineering, I doubt that you have the skills
> to properly distribute the load among multiple fasteners, and instead,
> you'll zipper them out one by one, as your infernal contraption vibrates and
> destroys the bearings after the first electrode flies off..
>  Darn good thing that you're using a steel fragment shield (If you do your
> calculations right, you won't need your kevlar.. and sandbags are cheaper
> during testing)...

I am reminded of what Bob Golka did (when he was at the Wendover
Air Force Base.)  He had a Plymouth Savoy, (and several other junked
car bodies) "strategically placed"....just in case, his rotary gap
might "fly apart."  Well, it finally did. and the car body shields
were to no avail!  When the rotary gap finally exploded, one part
dug a hole in the (rebar reinforced concrete) and left a "hole" about
3" deep.  The other part literally ripped a massive "hole" in the
roof of the (steel corrugated) roof of the hanger! It took Bob months
to patch that hole (only after the monsoon season had dumped many
gallons of water through its orifice.)  The point being, when you
are dealing with *very serious* dynamic forces, even the "experts"
have to scratch their heads, and go back to the computer analysis
software, and the (proverbial good 'ol drawing board,) many times...
more times then many of us, would like to recall....let alone admit
to!
<snip>

> More...

<snip>

> It's fine to have a strawman design up, so that people can poke at it and
> come up with ideas, but I think you are worrying about details that are
> familiar (what sort of paint colors shall we choose?) rather than the ones
> which are of MUCH greater importance.

Jim, I applaud you for your dynamic and energetic disclosures on this
topic.  Clearly, the (proverbial "POT" has been sturred!)  And I must
say that I am in (total) agreement with your views on this thread.

The experience I've referred to above, happened in a time frame from
1977 to 1979.  Fortunately, for Bob Golka, (and "Project Tesla,")
the "orientation" of the 100 h.p. motor-driven non-synchronous
rotary spark gap was "oriented" in an east-west direction.  Had it
been otherwise, (with its catastrophe failure,) might have killed
some of the fine citizens in the city of Wendover (more then a 1/2
mile away!)

Best regards,
Bill Wysock

> Jim Lux
> phone:818/354-2075  fax:818/393-6875
> Spacecraft Telecommunications Equipment Section
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory   M/S 161-213
> 4800 Oak Grove
> Pasadena CA 91109

Tesla Technology Research