[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

filter capacitor question

    I have a question about filter caps.  My CW, Poulsen driven coil
requires two
large inductors as a part of the oscilliatory circuit, and I just realized
that a
large filter cap between the 20kv supply and the inductors would be
necessary.  I
have figured that each would need to be about .5 uf given the relatively
small size
of the primary capacitor (.001 uf)  The problem is,  I have no idea where I
would
get a 10kv 1uf rated cap, let alone 2 even if they were rated DC.
    I have a thought though-- the doubling power supply utilizes four 4kv 2 uf
capacitor arrays--do they act as de-facto filter capacitors, even though a
bank of
diodes and an RC filter separate them and the charging reactors?
    A second thought--perhaps I should lower the entire operating voltage
to 4kv,
operating all of the Mots in parallel, back to back, and thus avoiding the cap
problem.  Commercial Poulsen-Arc radios operated on less than 2kv, I assume
mine
could stand 4.  It would probably simplify the circuit, though it would
multiply
the heat generation problems later when I design the gap.  ; )
         I would appreciate any comments.
                            --Mike