[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Load Optimizing - Q?

At 11:49 AM 03/21/2000 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>              Would you mind explaining something please?
>
>> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
><snip>
>> They usually have to add capacitance or more turns to the primary circuit
>> which is something they wish they had known before.  They KNOW when they
>> get it right ;-))  The only heat loss that really matters is that when a
>> coil is out of tune, ALL the energy goes into burning up the spark gap.
>> When they are in tune, half that energy goes into the arcs (and the other
>> half still tries to burn up the gap ;-)).
>
>Under what exact experimental conditions did you measure that and
>how did you measure it?  I have measured transfer efficiencies in
>excess of 80% in some coils and given that one can get rid of
>secondary energy in a spark before it returns to the primary, the
>gap loss is nowhere near that bad *under this particular condition*.
>
>Regards,
>Malcolm
><snip>

Hi Malcolm,

	It comes from measureing my coils.  My large coil delivers about 225 watts
to the arc and burns 276 in the gap.  My small coil delivers 80 watts to
the arc and burns 112 in the gap.  So I generalized...  My gaps do not try
to quench anymore but I try and minimze primary loss.

Cheers,

	Terry