[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ Spark gap..variable?

Ok, on this topic, what do you guys thing about a spark gap I built today in
a few seconds as a temporary test gap. Basically, it is like an RQ gap, I
used 5 sections of copper tube, inside a pvc pipe, like an RQ gap. The
difference is that I used paperclips on each end of the pipes to hold them
in place. They held the pipes firmly in place, made the gap adjustable, and
provided connection tabs. I possitioned an ac fan to blow over the gap. It
worked great, and I am considering using this gap permanently, what do you
guys think?

-Regards,
Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]
highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com

> > > The copper will probly' oxidise *very* fast for me, 'cause I'm only a
few
> > miles from a beach here (I've found this out using copper pipe for
Jacob's
> > ladders)...I know that hurts performance, and was wondering if there was
> > anything I could do to the copper to make it stay 'clean' a bit longer
> > without hurting it's arcing ability for the gap...I can't think of
anything,
> > but maybe someone else knows of something to use...
> >
> > **important!**  I don't recommend trying to adjust this while it's
> > running...just good healthy paranoia here
> >
> > The gaps are pretty much pre-set spacing in all of the ones I've seen,
where
> > the pipe sections are test-fitted, then epoxied in place and set
exactly.
> > My question...if you cut a slot lengthwise on the opposite end of the
tube
> > from the spark gaps (made it a big C), and attached an block of plastic,
or
> > what have you, on each side of the gap you just made, and a nylon screw
> > push one block away from the one on the other side, could you then
spread
> > the gap and increase the spark gap of the electrodes (via increasing the
> > circumfrence of the whole tube)?  I don't know if the gap-expansion
would be
> > uniform (I don't think it will in real life, the gaps closest to 180 out
> > would probably open the most, but you never know.)  I figure if I use
8-10
> > electrodes in the gap, and have 2 sets of 8-10 for paralleling in 1 1"
long
> > tube (using 2"dia-at-3"length copper tubes), and 4 'adjustments' along the
gap
> > in the tube, you could keep your spark gaps parallel easier.
sickly-ascii
> > art to follow below....PVC seems like it will spread quite a bit without
> > breaking in my initial tests.  I haven't built this yet, but intend to
just
> > as a test-thing.  Am I on to something, or just chasing my tail again?
:)