[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FIRST LIGHT FINALLY!

It sounds like you could use a better spark gap and a better capacitor.  I
would

work on the spark gap first.  Build a RQ gap with about 7 or 8 gaps spaced .025
on each gap.  Mount the 3/4" x 2" copper tubing inside of a 4" dia x 6" long
pvc.
pipe with a cooling fan on one end.  Use a jumper wire to short out one gap at
a time to find out how many gaps your system needs to perform at its best
output.
You may find for example your systems runs best with 6 gaps.  You simply have
to experement to find out.

You are probably loosing 50% of your power in your salt water cap.  The new
MMC caps look great and seem to work great.  I have not tried them yet.  Order
about 200 caps from a discount company and solder the required number of
caps in series/parallel to get the uf value and voltage rating you need for
your

system.

I would experement with the top load.  Try several different sizes and shapes
to see what gives you the best output.  A top load with a smooth surface will
work the best.  Wal Mart has some stainless salad bowls that are 8" diameter
and cost only a few dollars each.  Put 2 salad bowls together in a toroid
shape.

You should get 5 or 6 multi streamers from the rim of the bowls.

With only 11 turns on your primary be careful not to get a top load that is too
large because you many not be able to keep the system in tune.  If you have a
variac power the system down so the output sparks are only 1" long then move
the primary tap 1/8th turn at a time to find maximum output.

I would think you should be able to get 18" sparks from your 9K 30 ma neon
once you increase efficiency and  reduce power losses.

Make sure you have a good ground on your secondary coil.

Gary Weaver