	From what I can remember, the thing's base is only about 2ft x 2ft, but it
is about 6 feet tall.  I would say that 4ft of the height is what looked to
be a giant insulator.  On the top is, I would say, a 2" bolt, maybe for HV
connection.  Just before I bid on it I found a hatch, and looked in.  All
that I could see (it was dark) was a 10,000 volt capacitor, and some other
stuff inside.  I have to wait to get it home before I can get more info.  I
didn't know how much trouble that $10 thing was going to be!
Thank you for all of the info, everybody.  I will continue posting progress.

-Andy C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 10:16 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 250,000 volt nuclear transformer

Original Poster: Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com

Personally, I don't think I would ever purchase anything "formerly used in a
nuclear power plant"  Did you check it for radiation?

It would be interesting to know how they insulated the components inside to
that voltage - are you sure it hooked directly to the 250K line?  Did you
get
any of the 6-foot insulators also?

If you take it apart, post some pictures of the inside.  I don't think
you'll
get 250K out, since you'll have to current limit the heck out of it to run
it
off your house wiring.  To get the maximum KW out, you have to put the same
KW in.

Scott

<< Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>

    I recently bought a transformer that steps down 250,000 volts to 115
volts,
 formerly used in a nuclear power plant. It weighs about 1000 lbs. and is at
 least 5 feet tall.  I think it said that it was a capacitively coupled
 potential transformer. I was wondering if you could hook it up in reverse
 and get 250,000 volts?  Are pole pigs connected in reverse for high
voltage?
 Unfortunately I don't have it now, because I couldn't get it home to test.
 If anyone knows if it will work or have any other comments then please
 respond. Thanks,

 -Andy