[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOT for Ballast Question...

I asked some time ago about a thought I had for a ballast, and never
received an answer. I was hoping someone with some experience with variable
air gap inductors could help out.  I took apart 2 identical Microwave Oven
Transformers by grinding out the welds, etc... I was planning to put the two
"E" sections open face to open face, whereby I will have the same current
capability as a single MOT, but twice the wire winding window area.  Is this
reasonable?  I was hoping to build a bracket of some kind that would let me
adjust the air gap between the two core sections, thereby varying the
inductance (and current limit).  What range of air gap distances is
reasonable for, say 0-20 amps?  Would it be on the order of 0-2 mils, or
maybe 0-200 mils? Should this be wound with wire similar to that which
originally made up the primaries of the MOT's?  How many turns? Same number
as the original primaries had?

This is all for 120V 60Hz supply.  This arrangement (or maybe these, if I
get ambitious and find more MOT's) will be used with NST's for Tesla Coils,
and other fun.

Any thoughts, or answers, or even questions would be welcomed!! I don't want
to find out only after this is built that I missed something very important!

MPF
the_machin_shin-at-hotmail-dot-com

PS: My Allanson 12kV 60mA is happily soaking away in gasoline, pleasantly
sluffing away the tar I missed when I heated it up.
I also got my Primary wound, it's on a Lexan disc about 30" in diameter
(kinda big, I know, but it's Pretty!), with 18 or so turns of 3/8" Copper
Refer Tubing. For supports I used some strips of Walmart Special poly
cutting board. I cut holes in the strips, and then trimmed the strips again
such that the copper tubing just snapped in. I can't remember which of the
hundreds of Tesla sites I visited mentioned this method first, but Bravo!!!
The primary was easy to wind; it took about 5 minutes. (Cutting and drilling
and obtaining a second 50' of tubing notwithstanding...)  I think
preparation is the key.

Thanks everyone!