[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass Capacitor

>Original Poster: "Scott Stephens" <Scott2-at-Mediaone-dot-net>
>
>Who has used plate glass for their capacitor, what specs and what results?
>remember someone complaining a while back it was very heavy. I'm
considering
>stacked plates with aluminum foil in between:
>10" x 10" with 1/4" on the edges painted with corona dope
>.05" or .1" thick plate glass for 12KV?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott

Hi Scott,

I have tried them, but indeed it's getting heavy and you have a big change
you cut yourself someday. Also the cutting is risky business. Glass consumes
HF energy and you need thicker dieelectricum.
As you understand by now it's not my favorite material other than to look
trough. If you like the plate design, you can best try to find cutting
leftovers of Poly Ethyleen/Propyleen/Carbonate. They can be very very cheap
(1/10 of normal prices!) and plastic is much easier to work with.

Ruud de Graaf
Greetings from Holland