[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

An adjustable multi-gap (another abbreviation)

Hi all,

This adjustable multi-gap (AMG) may be old stuff to experienced coilers.

I had one 4 x 12 piece of G-10 leftover from building Scot's gap. This AMG is
a variation using as many copper sweat couplings of whatever size that will
fit your needs for power handling. I used five- 3/4 inch couplings which I
placed in a vise to compress them just slightly into an oval shape. Wrap the
couplings in a towel, or dado out two pieces of wood to hold the copper so
the jaws don't put marks into the copper. Drill holes in the G-10 along a
12-inch center line for 8-32 brass machine screws. With the screwhead under
the slab, tighten a nut onto the screw. The screws should be long enuff to
hold the copper
couplings at least an inch above the slab + the length of the coupling + 1/2
inch.
I used 3.5 inch screws. This is important to keep the heat load off of the
base.  Drill the holes maybe 1/8 inch farther apart than the original
diameter of the copper coupling.  The G-10 is not a must. Lexan or any other
good dielectric can be used. You need 2 metal cleat washers for each copper
coupling. You can buy them in a good hardware store. I cut them out of brass
sheet so that each cleat is 3/8 wide and just a little longer than the long
axis of the copper oval. Drill a hole in the center of each cleat to pass the
8-32 screw. The bottom cleat is the shelf and the top cleat is the hold down.
Put one 8-32 nut on each screw so the nut is
one inch above the slab. Put one cleat on top of each nut. Slip the copper
coupling
over the screw so it rests on the cleat, put a hold down cleat on top of the
copper, and tighten the whole
thing with a top nut. The entire AMG can be fine adjusted by setting the nuts
and cleats.
The gap is easily set by rotating the oval couplings. I drilled and tapped
some Lucite
rod for insulated mounting feet at the four corners.

This AMG is easy to build and inexpensive. The parts are not critical; many
variations
are possible.

Disclaimer: AMG is an abbreviation, it is not an acronym.   :-))

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman