[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 250,000 volt nuclear transformer

Hello all,
I wanted to echo those who have replied to the radiation issue of the the
XFMR from
the nuclear plant.  I am a Reactor Operator at a Nuclear power plant in
Ohio.  These
types of capacitively coupled  potential devices are used in the plant's
switchyard.
They would never have been inside the radiologically restricted area and
should not
have any contamination concerns.  I consulted with a system engineer
responsible for
our 345kV switchyard as to these devices operation in Tesla coil use. I've
included
his response.  Hope this helps.

Randy Burk

In a nutshell a ccpd is an overgrown instrument transformer.

It usually has two or three low wattage windings to drive meters or
protective relays, say 400VA at 120VAC that is 3.33A at power factor 1.

The huge size is to compensate for the withstand voltage on the high
side.

Example: for a three phase system at 345,000VAC phase to phase the line
to ground voltage is about 200,000VAC (345000/1.73).  The ccpd is a 60hz
voltage divider. Usually 200,000VAC is dropped across the 60 hz
impedance of a string of capacitors and at the 25,000VAC point in the
string they parallel a transformer, an inductor with a 60 hz impedance.
The output of the transformer is designed to provide a ratio to the
voltage being sensed.  The whole thing can be thought of as a big tuned
filter circuit designed for 60 hz.

So let's say you just backfed this baby with 60 hz, 120VAC and 3.33A if
you measured the output of the top terminal to ground, with proper
safety practices! you would see 60 hz, 200,000VAC with 0.002A.

This baby is very dangerous, with lethal voltages.

If this was at a sale it most likely has a fried transformer or failing
capacitors.  It may be good for parts but the capacitors probably would
have low duty cycles and they have a tendency to explode if overheated.
They usually are a porcelain housing containing a stack of metal film
capacitors immersed in oil.  If the transformer is an oil filled type it
may be in good shape but again it is a low power device.  If the
transformer is solid insulation it most likely is cracked or burnt out.

Treat all high voltage parts with respect.  They can fail and hurt you
bad.  While handling the capacitors keep them shorted out. Ground out
the high voltage winding of the transformer when working on it too.

I do not know what the high frequency characteristics of this equipment
is like, just watch out for overheating.  These piece parts are normal
passive electrical devices and can be tested to determine their values,
again follow all high voltage safety practices.