[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: stranded or solid ground wire

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I think this has probably been answered before, but::
>
> I have heard it is bad to use stranded wire for grounding. Is this true?
> Should I buy a ton of 1/4" copper wire or go with stranded 8 guage?
> Oh, also, anybody know where I could get some Hall-effects sensors?

	Both DigiKey and Newark list them in their catalogs, as do many other
parts suppliers.  Don't have an All Electronics catalog handy but seem
to remember that they from time to time they have had Hall effect
devices for sale at pretty good prices. Most Hall-effect sensors are
used as OFF-ON switches, so you want to make sure that the units you buy
operate in the linear mode.  Just looked in the Hanuary, 1999 DigiKey
catalog (the most recent one I have here at home) and find they list a
Micronas linear hall-effect sensor, part # HAL-400S-CCT-ND for $7.80 in
single-unit price.  The corresponding data sheet is $2.60.  DigkKey's
web page is just "www.digikey-dot-com" and they have a good search engine.
I've done a lot of business and they're a good, reliable outfit with
fast service.

	Unfortunately, almost all of the linear sensors use an internal
switching circuit which severely limits the maximum frequency which can
be measured.  In the case of the device above, it is only 5 kHz.  There
are units without switching circuits which are capable of response into
the MHz range, but they don't usually have built-in amplifiers, and the
sensitivity is very low.  You could easily map the low-frequency field
of your coil by passing either DC or a 60 Hz current through the
secondary and using a device such as the one listed above.

I want
> to start modeling my coil's field with my computer. (old 486 that dad says
> is ok to blow up)

	If you're going to use a computer, you'll need an analog-to-digital
converter!