[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac Question

At 06:05 AM 25/03/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Jim Firanzi" <teslacoiler-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>
>

>There are 5 screw connectors which are labeled like this
>in a schematic on the input/output panel:
>
>     ^^^^^^^
>    <   |   >
>    <   3   >
>    <       >
> 5--<       >--2
>    <       >
> 1--<       >--4
>
>Where do I connect the black and white 115v house wires?
>Which leads should be connected to the NST?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Hi Jim:

There are two ways you can connect it.  If you want 0 to 120 volt as
the full range then connect the white (neutral) of both the line and
the NST to terminal 1, the black (hot) line to terminal 4, and the
NST hot to terminal 3.  You should hook up a light bulb in place of
the NST to try it out to determine that turning clockwise causes the
voltage to increase...if it doesn't, just reverse the wires connected
to terminals 1 and 4.

If you want to have an adjustment range of 0 to 140 volts, move the
black (hot) line wire to terminal 2.  This is assuming that the other
hookup tested out OK for clockwise increase.  If you hook it up this
way, you can apply more voltage to your NST than it was designed for,
but if you keep the runs short it shouldn't be a problem.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca