[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: salt water caps

If you have your heart set on building salt water caps with bottles this may
be if some help.
The glass thickness may vary as much as .060" on the same bottles.  If you
turn the lights
out you will see some of the bottles will have blue glowing spots on them.
Some of the
spots will be bright blue and some not so bright.   Some of the spots will be
large and some
are small.  The spots are where the glass is thin.  If you have a lot of extra
bottles swap
them out one at a time with the bottles that have the brightest glowing blue
spots.  Try to
find bottles with no bright spots if you can.  Sometimes this is very hard to
do.  The bottles
will glow a nice even blue color if the glass thickness has no thin spots.
Thin spots will
glow bright blue and crack during long coil runs.

Glass thickness for a mason jar is about .100" average with large veration in
glass
thickness in about 30% of the jars.
Glass thickness for beer bottles is about .100" average with large veration in
glass
thickness in about 80% of the bottles.

Someone on the list once suggested using polyethylene soft drink bottles.  If
I remember
correctly there were several posts says soft drink bottles are not
polyethylene.

Gary Weaver