From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2000 5:43 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Terry's Strobe

Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

At 11:48 AM 03/27/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>The cheap Radio Shack strobe, when set to a fast flash rate, tends to flash
>in sync with the line frequency.  It's because they use a half wave doubler
>to charge the strobe cap.  It would be a simple matter to modify it so that
>it flashes exactly  in sync.

Hi Jim,

	Hey that's a great idea!!  The Radio Shack thing (RS# 42-3009 for
34.99 in
my old 1998 catalog) probably has all the basic electronics in it that we
need!  Perhaps a simple modification and some testing would get it to flash
at 60 or 120 Hz and insure that the flashes are at the exact peak of the AC
cycle.  Radio Shack is good about including schematics and stuff and the
modifications should be easy to figure out and easy for the average person
to do.  They are commonly available and the design never changes so anyone
should be able to use it.  They are always putting that stuff on sale too
but you never know when.

	It would give bright and fast flashes that should provide excellent
stop
action.  Just have to work out the modifications...

	I ran some numbers today to convert my strobe to sharper rates and
it
could be done but this Radio Shack thing would give so much better
performance it is definitely the thing to try next.

Another project!  ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry