[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strike Rail

In a message dated 3/28/00 3:38:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Tesla List wrote:
>  >
>  > Original Poster: "Bob Berg" <berg_bob-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>  >
>  > I think this is a simple question:
>  > I have seen some coils with and with out strike rails.  Is a strike rail
>  > needed? Is it used to protect primary from taking hits from the seconday?
>  > Thanks
>  > Bob

Bob,

There is some indication that in many coils, a strike to the primary
is unable to damage the cap because the low impedance of the
primary "kills" the voltage.  Also overvoltages will be shunted across
the safety gap.  I do not use a strike rail on my coils....I just let the
sparks hit the primary.

cheers,
John Freau