[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mini TC/plasma globe

--- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai"
> <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Hi.
>
> I guess you just need a larger glass globe, like a
> chemistry cooking ball.
> Another solution is to use a string of resistors to
> build a, say, 10 Mohm
> resistor that will stand your 10 kV: put that in
> series to the HV cable. It
> will
> limit the current and reduce the shock effect.
>
> Check my plasma globe at
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/pglobe.htm. That
> globe
> doesn't zap.
>
> Regards
>

> Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 26.03.2000 06:01:33
>
> To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
> Subject:  mini TC/plasma globe
>

> Original Poster: Kevin420790-at-aol-dot-com
>
> hello everyone, I built a mini coil from some junk I
> had laying around it
> uses a the primary power supply is made from a mini
> flyback from a portable
> b/w TV it gives me about 10kV when i use a 555
> driver circuit after I
> finished putting it together I fired it up
> and got alot of O3 no streamer though but I did not
> think I was going to get
> any,I could draw 1" sparks to my fingers  so I
> decided to put a clear light
> bulb on it and I got plasma discharge(not very
> intense)but when I touched the
> bulb I got zapped right through the glass.this now
> leads me to my
> question...why did it do this and can  I stop it? I
> would like to perfect
> this and make it a display but with the arcs coming
> through the glass I not
> to sure if I should and the O3 could be a problem I
> got a headache and a
> upset stomach after just five minutes.so if any one
> has any comments or
> suggestions please let them fly.
>
> thanks to all in advance,
> kevin dalpe
> attleboro,ma

Hi Kevin,
The advice above is a good one.
As regards explanation of zapping mechanism... I would
think  theories proposed so far ,fail to predict
plenty of aspects of the phenomena of plasma globes.
A pure condenser effect many times isn't sufficient
model here for various discharging situations.
You didn't specify if the zap had produced shock or it
had been just a burn unpleasance to you?

Regards,
Boris