[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: toroid sizing

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi all,my coil is 3ich by 15inch wound with 24awg.the frequency is like
> 475khz.im using a 9kv30ma the primary is 11 turns of copper tubing.my current
> toroid is 4inch diam.by about 15 inches long still in compressed form.i cant
> get any streamers!i evenswitched over to a 15kv30ma and retuned.still no
> diff.how do i get streamers?should i try and return it and get 2 small mixing
> bowls for the coil,or should i cut the ducting to a smaller lenght?key word
> here is cutting,once cut,no refund! i have very little time left to work on
> it.what am i to do?

Matt,

The output voltage of your system is apparently not quite high enough to
cause the toroid to break out by itself. You could try reducing the
outer (larger) diameter of the toroid to reduce overall topload
capacitance - this will help increase the secondary's output voltage.
You could also try adding a more tank capacitance to increase the
energy/bang - this will also increase output voltage. Finally, you could
try going to 3" diameter aluminum ducting material (very inexpensive at
Home Depot) to further reduce the breakout voltage.

Note that any of these changes will require that you re-tune your system
for best spark by using a small breakout point attached to the toroid.
Once you've tuned for best spark, you can then begin adjusting the
coupling by raising/lowering the secondary versus the primary to get
best performance. If you start to get racing sparks on the secondary,
raise up the secondary a bit until they stop.

Safe coilin' to you, Matt!

-- Bert --
http://www.teslamania-dot-com