[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strike Rail

Hi Bart,

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>

> > Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>

> Ok John and Malcolm,
> This is interesting  - comment below:
>

> > > There is some indication that in many coils, a strike to the primary
> > > is unable to damage the cap because the low impedance of the
> > > primary "kills" the voltage.  Also overvoltages will be shunted across
> > > the safety gap.  I do not use a strike rail on my coils....I just let
the
> > > sparks hit the primary.
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > John Freau
> >
> > My reaoning exactly. I don't use strike rails either and the primary
> > gets hit plenty.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Malcolm
>

> I was thinking that a high powered system may be better off with a strike
rail.
> Would either of you say a high powered (14.4kv/694mA pole pig driver)
strike to
> the primary have no ill effects on the cap? It just seems a 1.6MVp-p
strike may
> find it's way across the gap to the cap and possibly back to the transformer.
> Does the low impedance of the primary actually stop this from occurring
> regardless of power levels?

The cap - unlikely as it can only climb back up to its original
charged voltage if all energy from the secondary somehow  got
transferred back into it - unlikely in view of transfer losses. This
would happen with no breakout anyway so I can't see a problem
there. The gap is essentially still in a conductive state when
secondary sparks burst forth so the transformer terminals are still
shorted by the gap so differential voltages don't seem likely if the
transformer is electrically close to the gap (which mine always are
these days).
       The only thing I could see happening is a high common mode
voltage racing back towards the transformer terminals but I haven't
seen any evidence of it in the systems I fired recently. If anything,
pigs should be more immune to damage from that kind of event
because of their BIL ratings.  I could always be proved wrong
however so if in doubt, don't try it.

Regards,
Malcolm