[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: toroid sizing

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Matt,

Well, I'm not sure why your thinking about returning the form. I can't imagine
it costing all that much. I still think you should reduce the size of the
toroid, but, go ahead and use something else instead of the toroid to get
streamers. Go ahead and try bowls. Try a globe or ball wrapped in alluminum
foil. Try to figure out what size surface area you can break out with. You
didn't state your cap size - if your primary is 11 turns of 0.25" Cu tubing,
then you need to have about 0.003uF cap (which is pretty small). Start with a
top load really small amd work up in surface area until you find the amount of
surface area that works well. Yes, you can use math, but you can also use trial
and error. There's nothing wrong with that. Get an idea of what you need, then
cut the toroid down to match. If at that point the tubing you have is
rediculous to use, then by all means, return it. But, if it can be used  - why
not use it.

Bart