[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Top Capacitance Dominant?

Hi John,

At 05:03 PM 04/30/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>Terry -
>
>Another possibility is that the toroid loses capacity when it is mounted on
>the secondary coil. This would mean the coil self capacity is more than 3
>pf. In an earlier post I said the toroid looses 15 to 20 % of its free space
>capacity when placed on the secondary.

I am not quite sure how to interprete the program's numbers.  Of course,
the self C of the coil and the terminal C are place into each other's
fields so the total is less than the two in free space.  But the resonant
voltages at the terminal are very high so there is a vast amount of energy
storage there which is accounting for the high capacitance calculation.  I
wonder if it is correct but I don't have any reason to doubt it.

>A few years ago I read somewhere that a typical single wound TC coil would
>lose most of its self capacitance if the windings were spaced more than 31
>mils apart. Could this be one of the reasons why Tesla built the CS coil
>with about 3 inch spacing? The Medhurst equation does not even use windings!

I would not think that space winding is a factor.  My big TC has 20.1 mil
wire wound with 10 mil spacing and medhurst is still very precise.  Since
self C is a function of a coil's height and diameter, space winding should
not make that much difference as long as it was not far into the extreme.
Perhaps someone has a very space wound coil they could check?

Cheers,

	Terry