[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Heat-sink spark-gap

Dan: I have learned much over the last 12 months. As for static gaps, copper is
IN, and aluminum is OUT.
Use large enough copper sweat couplers and a suitable air flow (depending upon
the KV of your coil) from muffin fan or fans to vacuum motors. For example, I
plan to build a linear, tube, zig zag gap named for Scot D...in the archives.
But because my coil is relatively low powered (not PIG powered but instead a 6"
diam sec from 15KV/60ma NST) I can get away with 2-3 muffin fans for quenching.

For extra dissipation of heat, use 1.5 to 2" diameter tubes available from
McMaster-Carr or a large professional plumbing supply outlet and some Ace
Hardware stores.

Ted - Now Wiser in Texas
Subject: Heat-sink spark-gap

Original Poster: "Dan and Nancy" <ntesla-at-ntesla.csd.sc.edu>

Hi all,
I'm wondering if making a static air-flow gap out of finned aluminum
heat-sinks might be ok. With air-flow, I'm thinking that the finned
heat-sinks might cool more efficiently.
Comments?
Dan