[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac setting (Was Rd: Rotaty popping)

In a message dated 5/1/00 8:11:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<  I measured my ballast variac last night.  It is made by Luxtrol, says
 > Light
 > >  Control on it, max 41.6 amps (says to fuse it at 50 amps).  It also
 says
 > >  taper wound - which is odd, I don't see any taper to the core or the
 > >  windings.  It is however very non-linear.  The maximum inductance is
 54
 > mh.

 Are you sure that isn't "tape wound"?  Referring to how the core is made,
 from a long strip wound into a toroid.

Well, I checked my ballast variac again last night.  It clearly says "Taper
Wound", which must refer to the non-linear inductance of the variac.  Must be
because of it's designed use as a light control.

Ed Sonderman