[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MASSIVE Coil

Hi all,
           I have to take issue with a few old chestnuts in this piece:

> Original Poster: "Dan Kunkel" <kunk77-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Dave,
>
> Although I would not recomment building a large coil for your first Telsa
> Coil attempt...you will learn a lot more about building, tuning, and
> operation of coils if you start on a small scale. But...
>
> Do you want to build a massive sized coil in the physical sense? or do
> you want to build a super-duper high performance effiecent coil capable
> of producing much larger streamers than a normal 1/4 wave Tesla Coil with
> the same power input? If your answer is yes to the latter statment, then
> you ought to construct a Magnifier Coil. It still uses the primary and
> secondary, but a third, or tertiary, coil is added. Tesla realized that a
> two coil system could only be 50% effiecent at best, due to the loose
> primary and secondary coupling. So he solved the problem with three coils
> and having an overall effiecency of 70%-90%!!!

Unfortunately, most of the above is in error. Firstly, magnifiers are
no more efficient that two coil systems and are operated with the
same Ksys as a two coil system (if you don't believe me, measure it).
Secondly, the efficiency of a two coil system can go well above 50%
if the output sparks are attached (rather than air streamers).

If you or anyone else is
> interested, let me know and I will send you some excellent files
> detailing its construction, I think they are a little bit lengthy to post
> on the list, but definately a good read! Richad Quick's magnifying coil
> produced 22 million volts and 11'-15' streamers (I think he was using
> 10kva from a pole pig)!!! It would erase magnetic strips from credit
> cards at several yards away. The basic idea and construction is still
> pretty much the same as a 1/4 wave coil, but there are some other
> important details that cannot be over looked...if you want  a high
> performance coil at any cost, this is the one for you!  How lucky you are
> to be able to say money is not of concern!

22MV ?????????????????????  I'm afraid conservation of energy
rules the day here not to mention the fact that his coils weren't fried
to a crisp after a run.

There has been some excellent modelling done on magnifiers by Dr
de Queiroz and also documented in the list archives are experiments
done by myself and John Freau verifying some of the modelling.

Regards,
Malcolm