[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MASSIVE Coil (22 Megavolts)

There has been lots of research in the last decade or so on very long
sparks from high voltages.  At voltages over a megavolt or two, anything
you're likely to see is going to certainly qualify as a "non-uniform field"
(A sphere would have to be meters(!) in diameter to get the field even
close to uniform).

The spark length/voltage is really only linear for very uniform fields (or
for spheres with radii on the order of 3 or 4 times the gap distance).

And, there is a lot of theoretical work in the spark propagation area for
electrode voltages in the 1-4 MV area where length of spark and voltage
don't correlate well at all.

For long sparks in a non-uniform field, the real determining thing is the
impedance of the source.  In the case of a TC, this would be the size of
the top load.