[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Science Fair success!

Hi Matt,

On 10 May 00, at 5:37, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi all, this is matt and just won the science fair.The judges were very hard
> to get along with and stated some false info also.He said Tesla was famouse
> for DC and not Ac!? Am I wrong or is he?Several other arguments suggested he
> knew very little about tesla coils.Also my sparks were only 7 in!!!They used
> to be 15 at home.Is it the ground rod? At home the ground rod was 1ft away
> from the coil.At the school it was about 20 or more feet away.Thank goodness
> it was only 7 in because a stupid guy in 11th grade went in when no one was
> around and turned it on! He said he touched it bare handed right on the
> toroid and it knocked him silly.

That judge ought to be forced to write "DC = Edison, AC = Tesla" a
thousand times after school.

         I'd say you got lucky. That guy could have touched something
else. When one of my coils was on display at an education fair a
few years ago, I removed the extension cord to prevent anyone
playing with it while I was not present.

Regards,
Malcolm