[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power in a TC System

In a message dated 5/15/00 7:34:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >square of the kV output of my NST by it. P=V^2 / X. Does this give a
>  >true indication of system power?
>  >
>  >The alternative would be to multiply the number of brakes per second in
>  >the SG by the energy stored in the capacitor, that is,
>  >
>  >((C V^2) / 2) * Bps
>  >
>  >Which is correct?
>  >
>  >Regards,
>  >
>  >Gavin, U.K.
>  >
Gavin,

At 120 bps, (or 100 bps) with a sync gap, an NST can draw
double its rated power input or more, esp with a step up type
variac, and a matched or LTR cap.  For example my 12/30 NST
draws 620 watts, (VA draw is a little higher due to power factor
issues).  The output voltage can go higher than expected in an
NST due to resonant or inductive kick charging.  I get about
29kV peak on my cap with the 12/30 NST using a near matched
(0.007uF) size.  (C V^2)/2*BPS then works correctly since you're
using the correct output voltage.

Cheers,
John Freau