[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-tech Question

Hi Ted,

On 15 May 00, at 11:36, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>

> To All Coilers...

<snip>

> But I really want to know why...
> If it were not for the Hangman's House I do not think I would ever really
> want to build a coil.
> But there are those of you who not only start with a coil capable of 6 inch
> streamers and keep building more and more until 10 footers or more are
> attainable. As a challenge, I recognize that.
> People build cars to go faster. Athletes are always trying to better a
> record.
>
> But, what real purpose does a coil have other than to scare someone or
> worse, injure or kill or merely light fluorescent tubes?
>
> Once someone has achieved that 10 foot arc...what becomes of the coil once
> it's power has been shared with all either in person or on the web?
>
> This may sound like blasphemy. But this posting is truly a desire to
> understand something of the philosophy of the coiler that so far has
> escaped me.
>
> The truth is out there and I want to believe...someone once said.
> Help me to understand. And I will thank you all.

Speaking for myself, I first indulged out of curiosity after reading
about the "mysterious" sparks as a boy. Then I became deeply
interested in finding out exactly what was going on and why. Now
90% of my coiling consists of taking measurements and thinking
about things. The kids down the road lost interest in a lone figure
sitting out in a dingy garage surrounded by measuring instruments
and an object of reverence sitting in the middle of the floor. These
days, I sometimes slap a coil together and invite the neighbours in
for a dose of ozone. Too many other interests.

Regards,
malcolm